This week's six questions are with Growers Garden, a collective of Scottish farmers based in Fife who are bringing their generational knowledge of good farming practices together to create innovative, food-waste-fighting snacks in the form of their delicious broccoli-based crisps! Growers Garden crisps were a hit with us as soon as we tried them, and their focus on sustainability and good healthy ingredients makes this a snack we feel great about bringing to a wider range of customers. Plus, every flavour (even the 'cheese' one!) is 100% vegan! Who knew broccoli could be this exciting?!
Here co-founder Alan Wallace gives us a bit of insight into the idea behind Growers Garden, and what makes this young company tick.
1.How/why and when did you start your business?
The concept for Growers Garden sprouted (pardon the pun!) in 2017 when 15 farmers and 4 directors got together and decided it was time to find an innovative (and tasty) way of reducing food waste and promoting sustainable farming practices.
2. What advice would you give to someone starting a new business in the sector?
As a farmer would say ‘every path has a few puddles’ – so we say, to anyone looking to start a new business in the food & drink sector: wear wellies,
- Know the market
- Be truly innovative for your consumer
- Learn quickly
- Always be agile
3. What motivates you?
As a farmers’ collective we are motivated by the vegetables we grow and the land we keep. This is why we wanted to celebrate one of our many vegetables (broccoli of course) as our hero veg by making sure it is always fresh and never powdered. We are also motivated by taste – we love our food and want to make sure we (us tasty farmers) make snacks that are 100% natural and delicious.
4. How do you think the food & drinks industry could improve?
For us, we are passionate about sustainability so support all initiatives to reduce food waste. In addition, healthy eating and improving the healthy choices available for consumers and of course collaboration and co-operation – this is such a positive, exciting way forward for business. We applaud all the great brands and businesses implementing some, if not all of these!
5. Is there an individual or organisation, current or in the past, who inspires you?
Throughout our journey from field to farm gate we have been inspired by lots of individuals and organisations! One in particular is LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming). LEAF is our charity partner and we think the work they do to educate communities and promote sustainable farming practices is inspiring and deserves recognition!
6. Apart from Greencity, which other three or more people, living or deceased, would you invite to make a dinner party entertaining?
Us farmers love a (dinner) party! If we were limited to only three we would choose:
- 1.Heston Blumenthal – we would never turn down some innovative and tasty dishes!
- 2.Adrian Boswell – we absolutely love his fun collages (especially the ones with Broccoli!)
- 3.Jim Smith – a farmer who has taken to stand-up comedy, what’s not to love?
There would need to be some Broccoli Crisps on the table too!